Father’s Day is here, and we want to celebrate all fatherly figures in our lives by being mindful & aware of men’s mental health this month.
As support for mental health has increased over the years, it is as important to know that 1 in 5 adults experience a mental health problem each year; however, male depression has often gone undiagnosed since men are more likely to report fatigue, irritability, and loss of interest in work & hobbies, rather than the feeling of sadness or worthlessness according to Mental Health America. In fact, men are less likely to seek treatment for depression and other mental problems because of social norms, reluctance to speak up, or downplaying symptoms.
The truth is, it can be tricky to start a conversation about emotional and mental challenges since it’s regularly taught to “toughen up” or to “get over it”. While these barriers are difficult to break down, there is no needs to have a PhD just to have an open conversation about mental health with your loved ones.
Here are a few simple ways to support & connect with the men in your life dealing with mental health challenges:
- Softening what ‘manly’ means and looks like,
- Remembering that we are all human and therefore vulnerable at times and sometimes more often than others
- Inviting and offering support for those by minimizing stigmas of who should or should not seek help,
- Simply be open and honest about your own feelings so others may feel comfortable joining in.
It’s important to speak up and fight against the social stigma for men and mental health. We all have mental health, and we should all be able to have an open conversation when we’re facing difficult moments in our lives. Whether it’s a brother, a father, or a friend, you can make the first step in opening the door for a real conversation and give someone the help they need to grow in their mental health journey.
At Amessence we believe in purity, transparency, and equity which is why we have developed a limited and seasonal collection of ritualized beauty elixirs that are grounded on inside-out performance-based health and wellness from ritualized beauty Morocco.
For some of us interested in how Amessence directly help men through our ritualized wellness:
- Our men enjoy our awakening eucalyptus Hammam black soaps as aftershave as well as a moisturizing full-body detox.
- Argan oil is another great add to aftershaves for hair massage (and growth) both on the scalp and the beard.
- Last and not least our *newly released* musk soaps carry upcycled prickly pear seed scraps that we have repurposed to add extra exfoliating textures to a neutral, luxurious, and silky full body and hair soap.
Amessnece is not for someone.
Amessence is truly for everyone.
Cheers to a healthy mental health journey and a Happy Father’s Day every day.